Cube Drone B-Sides and Rarities

Fifth Element

I had never watched the Fifth Element… but, like with so many important cultural touchstones, I had a vague idea how it went. So I thought I’d write down what I thought happened in the Fifth Element, and then compare it with what actually happened.

Cube Drone

King of the Internet

A long, long time ago, I wrote this comic:

When I switched to a single-comic website, cube-drone.com, I decided that all of the comics that weren’t Cube Drone were going to have to come down - especially old hand-drawn university comics.

But the Marquee comic was just so delightfully weird. So I just redrew it, so that I could keep it.

I wanted to capture it’s slapstick again, but I couldn’t really nail it down. I tried to make this new King of the Internet comic, but it just didn’t… work.

And another one:

So I decided that the Marquee thing was a one-time burst of genius and never really returned to it.

Disregard Life, Acquire Chili

I like making chili.

Fiiiiiiish

i don’t even know, I was up really late

Sets and Crap

Vim, Emacs, Nano

I ended up switching the Swiss Army Knife for a Spork in the final comic.

International Vowel Shortage

Yeah, take THAT, Unix

Office LAN Party

I really HAVE put way too much thought into this.

Letter to Jetbrains and Oracle

Reddit got real mad about this, and then they forgot about it completely and forever. Which is, why, again, I have to learn not to make jokes about reddit headlines. They don’t age well.

Whereas this one’s just dumb.

Apple Keynote

In another example of me chasing the news, the Apple Keynote where they introduced the iPad Pro featured a software developer fixing up a model’s smile, which was a strange choice, I think. Smile, ladies.

Exploitable

I pushed this online and asked my friends to submit their own comics to fill in the blanks.

Tim got the point right away, I think.

Allen had a clever plan involving patents, although now I kind of wish he had drawn his “Temporary Sanitation System for Offices with Exceptional Overtime Provisions”

Finally, I disappointed everybody by just ripping on PHP.

Stickers

Of course, this ceased to be a valid comic the minute I stopped selling stickers. The stickers could never really make enough money to justify the time, effort, Shopify Account, or postage required to sell them.

But they WERE pretty cool stickers:

Sad Comics

Boo, author insert! Boo!

Netflix Scheming

Netflix is not interesting.

Kik Interactive

More news-chasing.

Vancouver Food Map

Comics about Vancouver don’t do well because y’all don’t live in Vancouver. You’d think I’d get it by now, but I really don’t.

Plus, this map leaves out too many good spots.

C++ Now Has Every Feature

I drew this while I was in Nanaimo on actual paper, and I think I took a picture of it with my phone.

“I took a picture of it with my phone” is not best scanner.

This is another entry in my “The Year is 2038” series.

Sets and Crap

I’ve been working on the sets that go behind the comics.