Cube Drone

Severance Package

single image

text

Milo: After last week’s breach, we’re switching to biometric security. Fingerprints. One thumb for auth, and also pressing spacebar. For redundancy other thumb is amputated and kept in cold storage.
Cube Drone: That’s insane! You can’t have my thumb.
Milo: Ha ha. Just joking. You can all keep your thumbs.
Later:
Milo is holding a cooler marked “Thumbs”
Milo: Hmph!

You Don’t Get Prod Credentials

> distract bear
How?
> remove meat helmet
Meat helmet removed. Bear is lunging towards it!
> throw meat helmet
Where? Bear tackles you to the ground!
> panic
You promptly shit your pants.
You have been eaten by a bear.
single image

text

Sparky: How do I get prod credentials?
Milo: You don’t.
Sparky: Huh?
Milo: You need a keyfob.
Milo: Okay. First you put on meat helmet. Then you go into bear pit.
Sparky: Okay. Now what?
Milo: Then you fight bear.
Bear: Hph.

The Output Problem

single image

text

Spokesman: Soylent optimized our human experience, replacing the inconvenience of food with pure chalky, vanilla-scented productivity. Our office-integrated hydroshock shower can clean an entire workforce in under 45 seconds.
Spokesman: Saving you minutes a week with only slightly increased chance of embolism.
Voice from crowd: What about excretion?
Spokesman: We’re still working on it, but we had the boys in the lab whip up a new prototype.
The Spokesman moves from behind the podium, revealing that he is wearing giant pants that are laden with jars and hoses.
Spokesman: You would not believe what I can do in these pants.

Ranting about Markup

single image

text

Look, Spring and XSLT have gone a long way to show that programming in XML is a nightmare.
So then Ansible comes along and asks us to configure our servers using Yet Another Markup Language, even though Ansible is just Python, under the hood. The problem with XML wasn’t that it was too verbose. It was that it was a markup language!
The minute you find yourself writing a loop, or - heaven forfend - a conditional in a markup language, that’s it. Game over. It’s time to give up and become a remote mountain hermit.

VR Setup Instructions

single image

text

For room scale VR with the Vive, you will need a space at least two metres wide.
Place the lighthouses 5 meters apart, pointed at 35 degrees. Your GPU shader buffer must be set from “anisotropic” to “apocrypha”.
The headset unit will blink white if the setup ritual has succeeded, at which point it will pulsate with maddening intensity.
You will need to update the firmware. Use the enclosed packet of goat’s blood to paint a sigil to Ha’Atu the all-seeing.

Cube Drone, his eyes bleeding, with a VR headset on: It’s… so beautiful.

A Problem As Old As Forums

single image

text

(on slack)
cube drone: ha ha lol butts
sparky: peach emoji
miloslav: off topic, you guys - take it to #random
cube drone: hey, this is a #marketing level discussion at least
lain: I bet that people have been arguing about topic relevance for eons
lain: uploaded an image: a Roman senator saying “by Jupiter! This belongs in the Democracy forum, not in the Justice forum!”
xyzzy: ha.
cube drone: what about #random, did the ancient romans have something like that?
lain: uploaded an image: the Roman coliseum

The Only Way To Be Sure

single image

text

Sparky: Could you help me out? I just can’t seem to get git to produce a completely clean environment.
Warbeard types: git reset --hard HEAD; git clean -fdx
Sparky: Ok, cool.
Sparky: What’s that for?
Warbeard is holding a gas can.

final frame: Warbeard is standing in front of a flaming wreckage.

Post-Mortem

single image

text

Melissa: So, post-mortem for last night’s outage. I’ve contacted the vendor and they’ve promised to push a hotfix soon.But I have a different solution. Walt - take this card. On the card is an address. Take this package to the address. Then run.
Walt: I was almost convicted of domestic terrorism after that glitter bomb you had me deliver, Mel.
Melissa: It’s not glitter.
Walt: What is it, then?
Melissa: Glitter and bees!

The Gates of Team Building, Shiny and Chrome

single image

text

Cube Drone: Our team building exercise is just a picnic? Laaame.
Sparky: Oh - I guess you wouldn’t know - Walt can get a bit … uh… competitive.

Laser Tag - Winter 2015: Walt has his foot on Sparky’s chest, a laser tag gun pointed right between his eyes.
Walt: You feel lucky, punk?
Go Karts - Summer 2015: Walt has spraypainted his mouth silver.
Walt: Witness Me!

My Personality Has A First Name

single image

text

Walt: Has everybody got their Meyer-Brigg test results?
Lain: Yeah. I’m an “ICC”. Introspective Cold-Cut. I like quiet walks and America’s Favourite Bologna.
Milo: I’m a Justicar-Thinky-Thick-Carved-Ham.
Warbeard: Mine just says “Probable Arsonist”
Lain: Walt, I am concerned that you may have cheaped out on the personality tests.
Walt: Eh, it’s not any less scientific this way.

Vulnerability

single image

text

Warbeard is at a conference, walking by an un-manned table with a computer and banner that reads:
“Max.secure, your security API in the cloud! Now with: single sign on… cryptography…”
Warbeard: Hmm…
In the third panel, Warbeard has taken the computer.

Encapsulation

single image

text

Morpheus: npm installs per-project dependencies, isolating environments.
Morpheus: in order to deploy in a reproducible way, we use Docker containers, which load the environment into a chrooted virtual environment that simulates an operating system.
Morpheus: Docker must be run from a Linux distribution, so we run it from Vagrant and VirtualBox, which wraps our Docker containers in another virtual operating system when running on non-Linux operating systems, including Os X.
Morpheus: This is your last chance. After this there is no going back.
(Morpheus holds out two pills, one red, one blue.)
Morpheus: You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the virtualization rabbit hole goes.
Morpheus: You take the blue pi-hey!
(Cube Drone has already taken the blue pill.)
Cube Drone eats the blue pill.
Cube Drone makes a rude gesture.
Cube Drone fades away, while still making the rude gesture.

Docker? I Barely Knew 'Er

single image

text

Melissa: Each Docker container should just run one process.
Cube Drone: But these containers are hundreds of megabytes each! We’ll run out of disk space before long!
Melissa: Now you understand why the Docker logo is a whale that is also a cargo ship.

A Thrill A Minute

single image

text

Cube Drone does nothing for three panels.
“The exciting world of startups”.

The Law Offices of Cease & Desist

single image

text

Sparky: You have to check out this sweet game I built!
Sparky: It’s called The Copyright Violatrix! You and Mickey Mouse fight off the cast of Friends while Beatles songs play.
Sparky: This is going to be so popular! I wonder why more people haven’t thought of this!
Cube Drone is rolling his eyes

Cryptamory

This would be a good time to bring up James Mickens’ hilarious article on security.

single image

text

Miloslav: You can use public and private keys for more than just Git and SSH, you know. If you have someone’s public key, you can send them a message that only they can read.
Sparky: But then how do you know which public keys you can trust? Any key could be anybody!
Miloslav: I went to a key-signing party, once. I came with a cryptographic key and left with somebody’s wife. She didn’t want to do GPG stuff at all.

Virtual Insanity

single image

text

Every Kind of VR Game:

1. Stuff that would be boring in real life.
    Cube Drone: Wow! It’s like I’m really playing Billiards!
  2. Weird fetish stuff
    Cube Drone, standing next to a man wearing a cat head and leather gimp suit.
    Cube Drone: I’m not sure what ‘cat-kin group cuddles’ means, but I feel like I have made a mistake in coming here.
  3. Games with motion
    A space ship: Space, the final BLEUUUGH

Master/Slave

Free the slaves! Hey, you, get away from our production servers.

text

Cube Drone: Look, Master-Slave is still a shitty naming scheme for distributed systems that makes light of some very real horrors.
Miloslav: That is the way it has always been. Why make waves?
Cube Drone: Let’s imagine that instead of a garbage collector, we had a process called “brutal dictator” and it rounded up all of your program’s unfit memory to be shot. Would that be okay?
Miloslav: In this situation it is best to keep your mouth shut, convert your hryvnia into rubles, and flee the country.
Cube Drone: We are still talking about programming!

Tone Deaf

single image

text

The CEO, Miloslav, and Lain are sitting at a “Women in Technology” panel.
CEO: Of course - our company is a great place for women to work. It’s a complete meritocracy, so everybody has an equal chance to succeed - even our two women!
Lain: Actually, it’s
CEO: Oh, I’m sorry, we’re out of time. We’re going to have to get back to you.
CEO: Hey, cheer up. At least we remembered to invite you this year.

Cyberpunk 2016

single image

text

Cyberpunk 2016 Guy: I’ve got to VR into the Cyberverse before the deckers can crypto through my firewall!
Actual 2016 Guy: Damn these Chinese IPs and their automated vulnerability scanning, they’re filling my logs with garbage!
Actual 2016 Guy: Also I think someone on the bus is doing some kind of Shadowrun cosplay.
Cyberpunk 2016 Guy: I’m gonna hack the Gibson!