Cube Drone

Severity 1

single image

text

Warbeard gets a text: Boop! |
Warbeard: A severity 1? Seriously? Someone had better be in mortal danger or I’m going to be angry. |
Smoke is pouring out of the server room.
Warbeard: Ok, good use of a severity 1.

Automated Animosity

single image

text

Code. The top comment is “this code was generated by a tool.” |
Cube Drone frowns. |
Cube Drone (angrily): Who keeps adding mean comments to my code?

Stack Rankings

text

“Oh god, somebody’s smashed my laptop!”
Milo is walking with a putter in his hands, whistling to himself.
Staying on top of the stack rankings takes persistence, dedication, and a blunt object.

Magic is Real

text

Poof! Now your code is garbage! : The Singleton Fairy.

Free Stuff and Naps

text

Conference Guy: Here’s your headphones and your soft pillow! Conference room A is for napping. Conference room B is for quietly hacking while soft electronica plays.

There is actually no such thing as a “Developer Conference”

Say You’ll Go

The say command only works on Mac computers, but if you’ve got one, give it a whirl. Bother your co-workers.

text

Lain’s computer: Butts! Butts butts! Come on and slam! Through is not rough. You have been eaten by a grue. Oonts? Oonts oonts oonts! Interbutts.
Lain discovers the “say” command.

Advantage: VR

single image

text

The BBC just ran a story about how a prominent roboethicist is calling for a ban on sex robots, like the Roxxxy. |
Or a Roomba with googly eyes and a fleshlight taped to the top. |
Lain: I feel like the BBC is not taking this seriously. |
Cube Drone: Of course not. Nobody considers a “roboethicist” to be a real thing.

Up Up and Away

single image

text

September 21 to 27, 2015
Vancouver Startup Week
Fellating Angel Investors: Your Guide to the Shaft of Modern Venture Capital
Free Labor: Hackathons and You
0 to 10: Making Numbers go Up
VR! Unstable! Experimental! Cool as Shit! |
Walt: Let’s see… meaningless awards, crowdfunding: an intro to making videos with soft timpani music, the internet of things: gateway to a horrible future…
Cube Drone: Jeez, they’re going super honest this year.

I Hope You Missed Me

text

Cube Drone: Hey guys! I’m back from vacation, rested, and ready for action! |
Cube Drone: I hope you didn’t miss me too much.
Milo: You left? |
Cube Drone looks crestfallen.

Poop Helmet

single image

text

Cube Drone: Hey, if we put an IoT Lightbulb inside the bathroom, we can check whether it’s on or off from a web interface. No more wasted bathroom trips when the can is occupied! |
Melissa: Nah - what if someone leaves the light on? We’d need a microphone in there.
Warbeard: Or some biometrics! Lots of people have heart attacks on the john. |
Several revisions later: Milo is wearing a large, clunky “Poop Helmet v7.4”.

Magic Eight Ball

text

Cube Drone (holding a magic eight ball): Magic Eight Ball - how should I manage all of my e-mail? |
Cube Drone shakes the ball |
Cube Drone: Wow! Thanks!
Magic Eight Ball: Outlook Not So Good

Planning Poker Starz

single image

text

Walt (holding up an eight of clubs): So, I think this task sounds pretty difficult, so I’m going to play an 8. |
Sparky (wearing sunglasses and a hoodie, with a stack of chips): Call.
Walt: Sparky, this is not how you play planning poker.
Sparky: Call! |
Walt: … okay, I have a single eight.
Sparky: Fold.

Oh Great, Another Technical Pun

single image

text

Walt, in a vampire costume: Lain, I’m not sure if I get your costume. Heavy load? Lead weight? |
Lain, wearing a grey costume that reads 1000Kg on the front: Oh, I’ve been waiting for someone to ask all day! |
Lain: I’m a singleton!

Cutting the Gordian Knot

This is a common interview question - and not a great one, in my opinion, because it’s more of a long-form high school math problem than it is a programming problem. The correct answer involves producing and then solving the formula for triangular numbers. The even correcter answer involves basic knowledge of eggs: they will not survive even a one floor drop. The better answer still is to not work for the company that is asking silly math questions to try to measure your programming ability. Although I would award definite style points for “Buy 5 more eggs and do a binary search: my time is worth more than the cost of 5 eggs.”

single image

text

Walt: Interview question: you are given two eggs and access to a 100-story building. What is the most efficient way to determine the highest floor from which you can drop an egg and it will not break. |
Interviewee: Easy, I brought eggs from home. Watch this.
Walt: Wait, why did you bring… |
Interviewee: Oh, look, the answer is less than one. splort
Walt: Our floor!

Time After Time

text

A graph with both axes marked “time(h)”. The graph is not linear, as you might expect, but curved. “Another success at the time travel corporation.”

Exercise Your Calm

single image

text

Cube Drone is working on a project. Attempt 3: Fail. Attempt 14: Fail.
Cube Drone: Breathe deeply. You are getting paid. Calm down. You must not get frustrated. Frustration is the mind killer. You can’t tie your self-worthto the success of your software career. Adequate documentation is unreasonable to expect from internally developed software. Exercise your calm.
Attemps 36, 37, and 38: Fail, fail, fail.
Walt: Hey there, buddy. Where’s your laptop?
Cube Drone: Oh, hey there, Walt! Definitely I didn’t smash it with a hammer. Not me. No sirree.

Crossfit

single image

text

Lain: Have you noticed that Sparky’s been going out of his way to mention he’s doing Crossfit, like, all the time?
Cube Drone: Uh… no? |
Sparky: Guys - I have to skip team building. I have another team to work with. My sweet delts. shoulder flex |
Cube Drone is reading a text from Sparky: p.s. crossfit btw

Forming Storming Norming Performing

single image

text

Tuckman’s Four Stages of Team Development:

1. Forming (three characters standing together)
  2. Storming (one of the three characters says something mean)
  3. Norming… wait, no, I think that still might be storming. (one of the three characters is angrily pointing, another has his arms out aggressively)
  4. Still storming, but we’ll get through this any minute now. (the two fighting characters are much closer now, and the third is sneaking out of frame)
  5. sigh. Additional storming. (a fistfight has broken out, and the third character is holding a printer above his head)
  6. The storming has proceeded much longer than expected. ( Two remaining characters walking away from a dumpster with an arm sticking out of it. )

A Distributed Environment

single image

text

Cube Drone: Come on, build, no whammies, no whammies, you can do it. |
Melissa: Wait, shouldn’t you be able to run the whole build locally and know that your build passes before you commit anything? |
Cube Drone: Hey, do I tell you how to do ​your​ job?
Melissa: Yes. Constantly.

RFC 2324

RFC 2324
But without a mug you’ll be sore
Just send it a WHEN
it’ll stop pouring, then
your coffee will be on the floor

single image

text

I wanted a beverage, hot.
From an HTTP coffeebot.
My coffee was spurned.